Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC0: Fonts look blurry

On 02/04/2019 17:45, Peter Lammich wrote:

>> Going back to the font rendering of Java 8 is now getting a problem:
>> it
>> looks strange.
>
> not so sure whether it's just a problem of getting used to it ...
> all other software on my system that displays text does not have this
> blurrieness.

This kind of font rendering has been with OpenJDK for a long time, it is
internally based on FreeType. My impression is that it has recently
improved slighty. Moreover, it seems that the non-free Oracle JDK 11 has
now adopted the same font renderer. So it would not help much to pay
Oracle a per-user fee their commercial Java 11.

The font setup of Isabelle2019-RC0 works reasonably well with my ancient
Sony Vaio 17" HD laptop from 2013 (e.g. 24px for the text area, and Gtk
look-and-feel for the GUI). But that is really historic in many ways.

My current work machine from 2019 is already the second one with UHD
(the first one was from 2014). Now even the on-board Intel graphics has
builtin UHD support at 60 Hz -- older hardware used to have only 30 Hz
(that is not the screen refresh rate, but the frame-buffer update rate,
which is mainly relevant for games).

So why be nostalgic about old hardware? Everyday equipment deserves to
be of good quality, and it is quite cheap, too.