Re: [isabelle] Isabelle and Vim (was: Re: Another newbie question...case-based proofs)

On 05/04/2019 13:45, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> I like Vim particularly for its efficient editing capabilities, things
> like jumping to the matching bracket or deleting everything enclosed by
> the quotation marks to the left and right of the cursor, all of which
> doesn’t involve complicated key combinations. I guess the goal is not to
> make Isabelle editing less efficient.

Such basic editing facilities can still be added to the jEdit text
editor, by working with the (rather small) developer group at
SourceForge. I do this occasionally, but only for really important
things (like updates to HiDPI displays, updates to Java 11 etc.).

Isabelle/PIDE is not so much a text editor, than a semantic IDE. Editing
is important, but not the key thing. For example, when I use IntelliJ
IDEA, I hardly know (and hardly care) about its editing functions, and
still manage to work on large Scala projects smoothly.