Re: [isabelle] Isabelle and Vim

Am Freitag, den 05.04.2019, 15:14 +0200 schrieb Makarius:
> On 05/04/2019 13:45, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>
> > I like Vim particularly for its efficient editing capabilities,
> > things like jumping to the matching bracket or deleting everything
> > enclosed by the quotation marks to the left and right of the cursor,
> > all of which doesn’t involve complicated key combinations. I guess
> > the goal is not to make Isabelle editing less efficient.
>
> Such basic editing facilities can still be added to the jEdit text
> editor, by working with the (rather small) developer group at
> SourceForge. I do this occasionally, but only for really important
> things (like updates to HiDPI displays, updates to Java 11 etc.).

I doubt that Vim-style editing can be reasonably added to any
“mainstream” editor or IDE, as these tools typically don’t distinguish
between different modes. Vim’s distinction between normal mode (for
commands) and insert mode (for entering text) is crucial, as it allows
commands to be entered mostly by single key presses, avoiding things
like Ctrl + Shift + ….

> Isabelle/PIDE is not so much a text editor, than a semantic IDE.
> Editing is important, but not the key thing. For example, when I use
> IntelliJ IDEA, I hardly know (and hardly care) about its editing
> functions, and still manage to work on large Scala projects smoothly.

Before I started using Vim, I also didn’t care so much about editing
features. Now that I’ve realized how efficient your editing can be with
Vim, it can get quite annoying for me not to have such features. The
broad acceptance of more “mainstream” editors may have to do with the
fact that many people never got into advanced editing so much and thus
don’t know what they miss. Even many Vim users have an editing style
that stays way behind what is possible with Vim.

All the best,
Wolfgang