Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC0: Improved "Isabelle DejaVu" font collection, suitable for text and GUI

So what I understand is that Java is phasing out support for proper font rendering on non UHD screens... Given that many people still use those screens I somehow can't /don't want to believe that. In particular on laptop screens, UHD seems not to be standard yet.

Peter

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC0: Improved "Isabelle DejaVu" font collection, suitable for text and GUI
From: Makarius <makarius at sketis.net>
To: cl-isabelle-users <cl-isabelle-users at lists.cam.ac.uk>
CC:

On 05/04/2019 22:54, Makarius wrote:

> *** General ***
>
> * The font collection "Isabelle DejaVu" is systematically derived from
> the existing "DejaVu" fonts, with variants "Sans Mono", "Sans", "Serif"
> and styles "Normal", "Bold", "Italic/Oblique", "Bold-Italic/Oblique".
> The DejaVu base fonts are retricted to well-defined Unicode ranges and
> augmented by special Isabelle symbols, taken from the former
> "IsabelleText" font (which is no longer provided separately). The line
> metrics and overall rendering quality is closer to original DejaVu.
> INCOMPATIBILITY with display configuration expecting the old
> "IsabelleText" font: use e.g. "Isabelle DejaVu Sans Mono" instead.

One more hint: "Isabelle DejaVu Sans Mono" is still the default for the
main text area, but it is also possible to use the proportional font
"Isabelle DejaVu Sans" instead (or even "Isabelle DejaVu Serif", but
that looks odd to me).

I am not using propertional fonts regularly yet, but have started to
give occasional Isabelle demos with that configuration. After all, the
formal theory text is meant to be a true document, as in LibreOffice or
MS Word (with formal "spell-checking").

The proportional font helps to emphasize this idea, especially to people
who think about proofs as "program code", but also to others who are not
familiar with programming (or "coding").