Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC0: Fonts look blurry

On 09/04/2019 00:02, Bertram Felgenhauer via Cl-isabelle-users wrote:

> As Makarius wrote, this is a consequence of switching to OpenJDK.
> Oracle's JDK uses Bitstream's proprietary T2K font engine, whereas
> OpenJDK uses FreeType [1], which as far as I can discern simply does
> not support the super-agressive kind of hinting that T2K does on
> medium DPI displays.
>
> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2017-November/004621.html
> [2] https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-properties.html#warping
> [3] https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk11/file/tip/src/java.desktop/share/native/libfontmanager/freetypeScaler.c
> [4] https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk11/blob/master/src/java.desktop/share/native/libfontmanager/freetypeScaler.c

Thanks indeed. These links shed some true light on this issue.

The mail thread from 2017-November refers to the need for "zero
differences between the OpenJDK and the Oracle JDK". My impression is
that Oracle did this in its commercial Java 11 already: i.e. the font
rendering is now like OpenJDK.

The original JDK sources are also interesting, but I do not have the
ambition to patch that (as I routinely do for the rather small jEdit
codebase).