Re: [isabelle] A more adequate workaround for jEdit scaling on hidpi / high resolution

On 22/07/2019 08:10, Johannes Choo wrote:
> There exists a
> different workaround that should produce better results in most situations.
>
> You will have to invoke Isabelle/jEdit via the command line, and pass in
> the option `-J "-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0"`. For example,
>
> ```
> $ isabelle jedit -J "-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0"
> ```
>
> this should uniformly scale all UI elements by 2x. Other integer quantities
> should work as well.

I did not know this property yet, thanks for pointing it out.

Trying it briefly with the Java 11 that is bundled with Isabelle2019, it
basically works, but in the default "Metal" L&F there are occasional
font-metric problems (button "Cancel" displayed as "Can..."). With
"GTK+" L&F there seems to be a conflict with its own GUI scaling (which
I usually use on Linux, but that is not quite portable and thus not the
default).

So there is both some improvement and some remaining
complexity/fragility here. I will try again with the Java version that
will be bundled with the next Isabelle release (presumably March/April
2020).