Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC1 Mac OS startup warning

On 06/05/2019 08:30, Thiemann, René wrote:

> when starting Isabelle2019-RC1 on Mac OS (10.14.4) with an empty
> ~/.isabelle/Isabelle2019-RC1 directory via
>
> isabelle jedit
>
> I immediately get the following warning:
>
> WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
> WARNING: Illegal reflective access by macosx.MacOSXPlugin to method com.apple.eawt.FullScreenUtilities.setWindowCanFullScreen(java.awt.Window,boolean)
> WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of macosx.MacOSXPlugin
> WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
> WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
>

> The warning does not cause any problems, but it is also not nice to directly get warnings
> when starting Isabelle/jedit.

Such "illegal reflective access" in Java 11 means that old-style
Java-LISP programming techniques are used to access methods in other
jars that are non-public, but still needed elsewhere.

The operation com.apple.eawt.FullScreenUtilities.setWindowCanFullScreen
used to be a semi-official in Java 7 (and 8), but in Java 11 it has
become irregular.

Experimenting a bit more with it, it turns out that it has no effect in
the last 3 versions of macOS. So I have simply removed it from the
"MacOSX" plugin, see
https://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/3e45a3cf1059

This also means that when there is another "illegal reflective access"
warning (only the first one is shown), something else needs to be
updated to Java 11. I've gone through this approx. 5 times already ...