Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC1 release file names

On 07/05/2019 09:37, Makarius wrote:

> For Isabelle2019, build_release now happens in Isabelle/Scala without
> odd shell scripts and intermediate archives. The app bundles have become
> much larger (due to Java 11 and bundled HOL image), so I wanted to avoid
> redundant copies of material. I have also started to experiment with xz
> instead of gz: infortunately, macOS seems to lack xz by default; in
> further testing we might see reasons to switch linux back to gz, too.

Linux and macOS are now both back to gz, since xz is too slow and
cumbersome, see https://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/7c55ea37fbf7

>   * windows:
> https://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2019-RC1/dist/Isabelle2019-RC1.exe
>
>     7z x Isabelle2019-RC1.exe

This still works: you could bundle 7z.exe to make it self-contained.

An alternative is to use the self-extractor with option -ai (and
probably -gm2) as explained in
https://github.com/chrislake/7zsfxmm/wiki/Switches

This requires an updated version of Isabelle.exe according to
https://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/4ce07be8ba17 -- in approx.
2h there should be a new version at
https://isabelle.sketis.net/devel/release_snapshot

One remaining question is how to do it robustly in a headless
environment. With the Cygwin ssh server on Windows, I managed like this:

  run -wait ./Isabelle_09-May-2019.exe -ai -gm2

Without that, the Java splash screen could cause problems, but I don't
know how to disable that without creating an alternative executable --
which is definitely beyond the present ambition on such rare
applications of batch-mode installation.