Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2019-RC1 release file names

On 10/05/2019 16:13, Dominique Unruh wrote:

> Tar seems to be the only widespread format that can be downloaded and
> unpacked without temporary storage which might be useful also for other
> applications which try to automatically install Isabelle.

Except for Windows, where self-extracting archives are standard.

I have already explained that this is also a matter of minimality: there
were historic reasons to have redundant tars lying around, and these no
longer exist. I am not going to maintain legacy features.

The concept of isabellectl by Lars appears to be to level-out
differences over various Isabelle distributions: he merely needs to
follow these natural changes.

As for the official Isabelle distribution and release policy: there is
only one latest version, and everything else is historic. (It may still
be discussed informally in this mailing list, but there is no official
support for it.)

This is vital to keep Isabelle going with a fraction of the normal
resource requirements for such a huge project. It is in the best
interest of Isabelle users to stay faithful to the principles behind
Isabelle.