[isabelle] RC5: Short experience report

Hi List.

I have now ported a big chunk of Isabelle-LLVM to RC5.
Notably, Isabelle-LLVM extensively uses the Word library, and also
contains some lower-level Isabelle-ML code.

First, Isabelle seems to run stable. I did not run into any
unrecoverable grey-out.
It was killed one time by my OOM killer, but I had two instances in
parallel on 32GB RAM.

With the NEWS file, and a bit of guessing, the Isabelle-ML code was
easily ported, most severe problem was the undocumented change
Path.smart_implode -> Path.implode_symbolic.

Porting of lemmas using the word library was, as expected, more
difficult. With the help of sledgehammer, which feels really powerful,
I could force most lemmas through, even without a complete
understanding or overview of the changes to Word.

--
  Peter