Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 22:04:13 +0930
From: Peter Gammie <peteg42 at gmail.com>
Subject: [isabelle] conversions for symmetric/commutative operators
To: cl-isabelle-users <cl-isabelle-users at lists.cam.ac.uk>

Hello,

I find myself with a sea of conversions of the form exhibited by `filter_empty_conv`. `HOL.List` is missing its obvious friend:

lemma empty_filter_conv:
by (induct xs) simp_all

which could also be derived via a rule of the form:

(x = y) = z ==> (y = x) = z

(and so forth for other symmetric or commutative operators such as inf and sup).

One could imagine defining an attribute `symconv` like `symmetric` to handle this:

lemmas empty_filter_conv = filter_empty_conv[symconv]

But in my ideal world I wouldn’t need to type this out and make up another name, but would instead bind both theorems to the same name, e.g.

lemma empty_filter_conv[symconv]:

thm empty_filter_conv

However AIUI attributes map a single theorem to a single theorem, so this isn’t going to work.

All I can think of is to create another keyword like `lemma` that does a bit of post-processing before the binding is made. This feels a bit heavyweight.

Has anyone got a better solution? It might help to make these sorts of lemma pairs more systematic in the distribution.

cheers,
peter

Message: 9