[Pooh] location, location...

Of the 250 recipients of this mailing list, about 5 regularly come to meetings, about another 15 have come to a meeting since the start of the academic year and precisely 4 are not receiving the e-mails because they are invalid e-mail addresses or whatever. As for the remaining 226, whenever I bump into one of them he says, "Oh, are you the secretary? I get all your e-mails and I've been meaning to come to a meeting all year."

Why all these people have not come to any meetings, however, I have not fully understood. The most likely explanation for most of the time, it seems to me, is either that you have too much work in general and cannot afford the time or that you have specific recurring appointments at the time we have our meetings. If this is the case and you would like to see us at some place and time that is more convenient, feel free to e-mail me to suggest something. Of course, this is why we have the annual garden party in mayweek, as generally everybody's free then, and I'm sure I'll see a lot of you there.

Another possibility is that, since the weekly elevenses meetings are only "announced" a few days beforehand, people don't have time to put them into their diaries at such short notice. For my part, I'm afraid I haven't really got any excuse for not announcing them, say, eight days in advance, but on the other hand, the weekly elevenses meetings are always on Saturdays, at 4 o'clock, at the same time every week, so the only thing I'm really announcing is where it will be. For anyone who's wondering, they usually run through until about 6 or a little later, so if you're not free until 5:30 you can still join us. Indeed, until I was secretary, I don't think I ever arrived before 5.

Anyhoo, this week it will be at Californian Girl of Mystery's place. For those that don't know, this means Lucy Cavendish College. If you aim for the East end of the outdoorsy grassy bits of Lucy, you'll probably be in about the right place. Below I include the directions I gave last time.

Get to Lucy: http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/media/conferences/ documents/cambridge-map.pdf And then stand so that you are facing down the private lane with the bike racks on your right and the porters lodge on your left. Between the first two buildings on your left there is small gap (behind the ramp). Go down here till you come to some glass doors, these are the entrance to the common room.
The location of the glass doors is marked by the reddish X here:
http://www.poohsoc.org.uk/lucy_commonroom.png

Alexander Beetle,
Owl,
Secretary,
Charlotte
& Charlotte [illegible]
The Pembroke College Winnie-the-Pooh Society