[ARCHIM] "Surfaces and strings" Talk Friday, 7:30pm; PGR & Bookshop Saturday

In this Email:

- Talk this Friday - "Surfaces and strings"
- Bookshop and Puzzles and Games Ring Saturday
- SU(2) Talk next Friday
- Final Talk of the term

1. TALK THIS FRIDAY
Friday 16th February 2007, 7:30pm
"Surfaces and strings"
Professor Frances Kirwan (Oxford)
CMS, MR5

This talk is about surfaces: their geometry and topology, and how they are
related to string theory in mathematical physics. It is intended to be
accessible to first-year undergraduate mathematicians, but has the (no doubt
over-optimistic) aim of providing a small taste of some current research in
geometry.

(note that we will *not* be dining with the speaker after this talk)

2. BOOKSHOP

Every Saturday, 2.30-5pm
F4 New Court, Trinity

The bookshop will be open for people to buy books at around half the RRP for
members. See the website for a full list of the books available.

3. PUZZLES AND GAMES RING

Every Saturday, from 2pm
Burrell's Field Common Room, Trinity College

Our games subgroup is running every Saturday this term. Come along and play
any of a variety of board and card games, or bring your own!

4. SU(2) TALK NEXT FRIDAY

Friday 23rd February, 4pm, CMS, MR5
Seminars for Undergraduates
"Why Knots Are Really Hard to Untie"
Jack Waldron (PhD student of Dr I. Smith)

Was Alexander right to cut open the Gordian Knot? Anyone who's played with a
badly tangled piece of string for long enough will appreciate his solution.
In fact, a lot of computations in Knot theory are provably NP-hard. I will
talk about the diversity of Knot Theory and the quest to understand
combinatorial knot invariants in a geometric way and so to gain knowledge
that doesn't require difficult computation.

5. FINAL TALK OF THE TERM
Friday 2nd March 2007, 7:30pm, CMS, MR5
   Professor Christopher Isham (Imperial College)

Also, Our AGM will be on:
Tuesday 6th March 2007, 1:30pm
in the CMS Cafe with elections for a new Committee.