[ARCHIM] Reminder: Talk Today; Bookshop and PGR Tomorrow

Just a quick reminder about our talk tonight. I've also included details of
the College Maths Society Talks that are happening next week.

1. TALK 7:30pm TODAY
"Surfaces and strings"
Professor Frances Kirwan (Oxford)
CMS, MR5

This talk is about surfaces: their geometry and topology, and how they are
related to string theory in mathematical physics. It is intended to be
accessible to first-year undergraduate mathematicians, but has the (no doubt
over-optimistic) aim of providing a small taste of some current research in
geometry.

A party will depart from the front of Senate house at 7pm.
(note that we will *not* be dining with the speaker after this talk)

2. PGR & BOOKSHOP TOMORROW

Bookshop - F4 New Court, Trinity, 2:30pm-5pm
  The bookshop will be open for people to buy books at around half the RRP for
  members. See the website for a full list of the books available.
Puzzles & Games Ring - Burrell's Field Common Room, Trinity College, from 2pm

3. SU(2) TALK NEXT FRIDAY

Friday 23rd February, 4pm, CMS, MR5
Seminars for Undergraduates
"Why Knots Are Really Hard to Untie"
Jack Waldron (PhD student of Dr I. Smith)

Was Alexander right to cut open the Gordian Knot? Anyone who's played with a
badly tangled piece of string for long enough will appreciate his solution.
In fact, a lot of computations in Knot theory are provably NP-hard. I will
talk about the diversity of Knot Theory and the quest to understand
combinatorial knot invariants in a geometric way and so to gain knowledge
that doesn't require difficult computation.

4. COLLEGE MATHS SOCIETY TALKS NEXT WEEK

Trinity Maths Society
Monday, 19th February, 8:30pm (port and orange juice from 8.15pm)
  "Quantum Geometry: What the String Saw" - Dr Peter Tong (DAMTP)
  Old Combination Room, Trinity College

Adams Society
Wednesday 21st February, 6pm (Drinks & Snacks from 5:30pm)
  "Rendezvous Search on Graphs" - Prof Richard Weber
  Fisher Building, St Johns College

(see the TMS and Adams Society website for more details)

5. OTHER ARCHIMEDEANS TALKS THIS TERM

Friday 2nd March 2007, 7:30pm, CMS, MR5
   Professor Christopher Isham (Imperial College)

Also, Our AGM will be on:
Tuesday 6th March 2007, 1:30pm
in the CMS Cafe with elections for a new Committee.