[ARCHIM] "Why Knots Are Really Hard to Untie" Today, 4pm; Problems Drive Next Sunday!

In This E-mail:
- SU(2) Talk Today
- Problems Drive Sunday 4th March
- Scarves & Eureka
- Amemdments Proposal
- Saturday Reminders
- Other Talks this Term

1. SU(2) TALK TODAY

Today, 4pm, CMS, MR5
Seminars for Undergraduates
"Why Knots Are Really Hard to Untie"
Jack Waldron (PhD student of Dr I. Smith)

Was Alexander right to cut open the Gordian Knot? Anyone who's played with a
badly tangled piece of string for long enough will appreciate his solution.
In fact, a lot of computations in Knot theory are provably NP-hard. I will
talk about the diversity of Knot Theory and the quest to understand
combinatorial knot invariants in a geometric way and so to gain knowledge
that doesn't require difficult computation.

2. PROBLEMS DRIVE!

Sunday 4th March, 2pm
CMS Cafe

On Sunday 4th March we will hold our annual problems drive. Students from the
Warwick and Oxford Maths Societies will be traveling to compete with us. The
problems drive consits of 12 short questions, and will last about an hour. It
is done in pairs; you can either come with a partner, or find one on the day.
There will be refreshments and prizes!

Freshers might like to look at the questions from last year's problems drive:
http://www.archim.org.uk/docs/problemsdrive06

We will also be having lunch with our visitors beforehand. More details will
be available soon!

3. SCARVES & EUREKA

Just a quick reminder that you can buy our very stylish Society Scarf for only
£15. We also have back copies of our annual journal Eureka, the most recent
of which was published just before the start of Michaelmas Term and hence new
members this year may be interested in buying a copy of this for £2.50 (those
having joined earlier have received a copy already). You can buy both of
these at our main talks, or at Today's SU(2) talk if you reply to this e-mail
before I have departed for the CMS (so about 1:30pm)

5. SATURDAY REMINDERS

Puzzles and Games Ring
Every Saturday, 2pm
Burrell's Field Common Room, Trinity College

Bookshop
Every Saturday, 2.30-5pm
F4 New Court, Trinity

6. OTHER TALKS THIS TERM
Friday 2nd March 2007, 7:30pm, CMS, MR5
   Professor Christopher Isham (Imperial College)

Also, Our AGM will be on:
Tuesday 6th March 2007, 1:30pm
in the CMS Cafe with elections for a new Committee.